Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Ruby Red Slippers

I actually made these a few months ago but I am just getting a chance to post the tutorial that I planned!

I love glitter. It's my weakness. Anything that sparkles, shimmers, shines has to be mine! Glitter is also very messy. My mom and I often refer to the Glitter Accident of '98. I spilled a jar, not just a tiny tube but a JAR, of glitter all over my hospital bed when my mom left me alone. Do you know how hard it is to get glitter out of a hospital bed/room. Just about impossible. Any ways I love glitter. I even wore magenta glitter Chucks for prom my senior year! When I learned that I could make my own glitter shoes I just about had a stroke. :P

Pretty little glitter Chucks. I now wear them around campus if I feel like being girly!


Anyways my mom came to me and asked if I could make her a pair of ruby red Wizard of Oz shoes for a party she was helping plan. It sounded like a job that I had to take on! So here it goes, how to make glitter shoes!

Materials: Mod Podge, super fine glitter (I used polyfiber glitter from Hobby Lobby. It was the only fine glitter they had.) , sponge brush, news paper, plastic sack, shoes!
Step 1: Stuff your shoes with a plastic sack so glitter doesn't accidentally fall inside. If you're doing the bottoms of your shoes tape them off so you don't get the glitter on the top part.

Step 2: Mix glitter and Mod Podge. I just eyeballed about 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup of Mod Podge into a plastic cup. Then I poured about 2 tablespoons plus a little extra into the cup and mixed it up!

I'm bad a measuring exactly when it comes to this stuff. It didn't seem like it was that important. When I ran out of glue, I just mixed more up! :)

Step 3: Paint shoes in sections. After you get a small section done, sprinkle the area with glitter. Shake the extra glitter off, and repeat on another section.
Step 4: Repeat step 3 only after the first layer is DRY. The second time will take a bit longer because your brush strokes have to be more careful. Doing it a second time insures that your shoes will be super glittery and there won't be any blank patches.

Step 5: Put one last layer of Mod Podge on the shoe. This seals in the glitter and keeps it from falling off!
Step 6: Let them dry and wear them out!
After I was all done I added some cute paper flowers I made with the extra Mod Podge glitter glue.
Before I made these I did the bottom of my heels. They took about 5 layers but that's because I wanted them to be super glittery and didn't want anybody to see the black sole.

Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment